It may be surprising for some of you to see information about HIV and AIDS on W2W website. So what has HIV got to do with lesbian, bi, trans women right? Actually, HIV and AIDS is an issue for us for various reasons:
- Some WSW also have sex with men, either by choice or coercively or through the violent act of rape
- There are WSW who are HIV positive – we are not sure of the statistics but WSW living with HIV and AIDS exist and need information about HIV and AIDs so they can better manage the physical, emotional, spiritual issues that arise.
- Whilst we know that transmission of HIV between two or more woman having sex is very low, there are risks. As the saying goes low risk is NOT NO risk.
So, let us get down to basics: What is HIV?
- What is HIV?
- What are the different strains?
- How is HIV transmitted?
- The Link between STIs and HIV
- The Link between Substance Abuse and HIV Transmission
- What are the clinical features of HIV?
- How is HIV managed?
- How is HIV prevented?
- What are the clinical features of AIDS?
- What are opportunistic infections?
- How is AIDS managed?