ON-LINE AND VIRTUAL HOOK-UPS
Online dating or virtual hook-ups is an internet-based system, which allows individuals to make immediate contact with each other, with the objective of making friends, meeting for casual sex, or developing a personal romantic and sexual relationship. These sites generally require that you establish a profile (consisting of personal information, interests, and personal preferences). Once established, you are free to browse and interact with others. Some of these sites are free.
The Benefits of Online Dating
- You can meet and greet others without leaving the comfort of your home, this is especially useful if you are shy and don’t have the social skills to just walk up to someone and start up a conversation;
- The internet is available 24 hours a day, which is a great alternative to bars and clubs that operate only a few hours a week;
- It is a great way to increase your circle of contacts, thus increasing your chances of finding someone compatible;
- It is a great way to find exactly what you are looking for, by enabling you to be more direct and get to the point of what you are wanting;
- By dating online, you can go as fast or as slow as you are comfortable with;
- You can get to know a whole lot more about the person, as people generally feel less threatened online and are therefore more likely to open up and share more about themselves without feeling exposed;
- For the frugally minded, this is a more cost-effective method of meeting and getting to know many people.
The Risks of online dating
- The person you are communicating with may not be honest about who he is or what he looks like;
- The person you are communicating with may be a scam artist trying to get personal information out of you so that he may use it to his benefit;
- The person you are communicating with may be a physical danger to you.
Tips and Strategies for online dating
- Listen to your gut. If something feels suspicious or does not seem right to you then maybe it is a sign for you to move on. Trust what your instincts are telling you.
- Never give out personal information to soon. Rather play it safe and give out your number once you have met the person and are comfortable doing so.
- When meeting for the first time, ensure that it is in a public place. Never invite the person to your house or go to their house on your first or second meet. The more public it is the better.